SVHEC Workforce Advancement serves as a pipeline and connector to workforce training, data, resources, and services. Staff members work closely with regional business and industry to coordinate, develop, and deliver the training needed to advance Southern Virginia’s workforce.
We specialize in listening to the voice of the employer, and creating customized workforce training experiences so there is a perfect match between an employer’s needs and the training they receive. In addition, staff members use a proven method of environmental scans, research, and assessment to implement programs that will ensure that the region’s workforce is prepared for the jobs of today as well as the jobs of tomorrow.
The three encompassing areas of focus for Workforce Advancement:
- Employer/Business Needs - meeting the needs of current & prospective employers
- Worker Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) - preparing incumbent & future workers to meet employer needs
- Data Driven Responses to Area Employers, Workers, and Job Seekers - reliance on valid data obtained from diverse sources to provide needed training and services.
- 2006 Director of Workforce Services hired
- 2007 Regional Workforce Summit held
- 2008 The Center of Nursing Excellence opened
- 2009 TopSolid America @SVHEC created and first training held
- 2010 First Workforce Forward Forum and Tri-County Job Readiness Training held
- 2011 Relocation to the Innovation Center & Workforcce Readiness Initiative: Retention of Manufacturing in Southern Virginia began with Presto Products Company as the pilot.
Workforce Readiness Initiative: Retention of Manufacturing in Southern Virginia (Presto Products Company serving as pilot employer)
- Long-term training project aimed at improving the technical and soft skills of incumbent and future workers required for successful employment in a Southern Virginia manufacturing facility
- Presto Products employees in five job classifications will receive training from multiple training providers over a two-year period; > $515,000 project.
- Anticipated development of a replicable regional training model as an outcome of this initiative.