If the SVHEC needs to close because of inclement weather, the SVHEC’s Chief Financial & Operating Officer will consult with necessary personnel and make a decision by 6:30am. Once a decision is made notices will go out through SVHEC Alert. Notices will also be posted on the SVHEC’s website, Facebook page (www.facebook.com/svhed), and a message will be left on the SVHEC’s main phone line (434-572-5440). If the SVHEC is open and needs to close early, a decision will be made and announced as quickly as possible.
For Community College Students Only:
Night classes are those that begin at 3:00pm and later. Depending on weather, day and night classes may be cancelled separately. Community College classes at the SVHEC do not operate on a delayed class schedule. Please see examples below of how a delayed opening would affect classes:
- If the SVHEC opens at 9:00am and the class is scheduled from 8:00-8:50am, the class will not meet.
- If the SVHEC opens at 9:00am and the class is scheduled from 8:00-10:00am, the class will meet from 9:00-10:00am.
- If the SVHEC opens at 10:00am and the class is scheduled from 9:00-11:30am, the class will meet from 10:00-11:30am.
- If the SVHEC opens at 10:00am and the class is scheduled from 10:00am-12:30pm, the class will meet at its normal time.
Any questions concerning the community college policy should be directed to the community colleges office at the SVHEC (434-572-5456).
- When you see an opening time on TV that indicates the time classes are starting. The building will open 30 minutes prior to the stated time. SVHEC operations staff should report 1 hour before that time; all other staff report 30 minutes prior to that time. Ex: Television posts "SVHEC opening at 10am.” Operations staff will report at 9am and other staff will report at 9:30am.
- TV codes are limiting and don't allow us to post the varying times of when the building will open, when classes will start, and when staff should report. Therefore, staff should rely upon the messages sent via SVHEC Alert or posted on the SVHEC’s website and Facebook page.
- As always safety is the predominant concern. If you don’t believe you can safely make it to work by the stated time please contact your direct supervisor. During inclement weather a liberal leave policy can be implemented per Commonwealth of Virginia DHRM policy. This means your supervisor can approve your annual leave request even though it is not requested in advance as normally required.